Monday, December 15, 2008

My evolution of thought

I think I can directly attribute the evolution of my thoughts from ultra jaded Christian (vague idea that if god did exist that the church has done its best to defame him/her/it) to an agnostic viewpoint to a true atheistic viewpoint. Here it goes...

Ironically it started at Christmas last year, I got an ipod by my fairly religious in-laws. I started getting into podcasts, particularly science based podcasts. I started off with TEDtalks (www.ted.com) then moved into the skeptical arena. I started off with skeptoid hosted by Brian Dunning. This consisted of short (5-15 min) blurbs about various science, pseudoscience and paranormal phenomenon. This took me to skepticality hosted by Derek and Swoopy. Their podcast is about an hour and is filled with everything skeptical. I think the highlight of the podcasts are the interviews, with everyone from Niel DeGrass Tyson to James Randi to atheist rapper Graydon Square.

Through the journy I was exposed to many views and people that I had not heard about. Michael Shermer, James Randi, Phil Plait, The Skepchicks, and many more. I learned about and purchesed Julia Sweeny's "Letting Go of God".

Lately I have gotten into a routine of keeping up to date with the podcasts I enjoy as well as reading science based nonfiction. I am currently reading "The Science of Good and Evil" by Michael Shermer. It takes a look at individual and group morality from an evolution standpoint, including the origin of religion and the role it played to our ancestors.

My goal with this blog is going to put my thoughts out there for ridicule and praise, to share what I am involved with, what I've learned and what my short comings are.

No comments:

Post a Comment